Squamish Climbers Festival 2006 - September 9th & 10th

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Access Society of BC

Squamish Climbers Festival 2006 - September 9th & 10th

Post by Access Society of BC » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:04 pm

The Access Society is holding a festival in Squamish on September 9th & 10th. Everyone is invited to a celebration of Squamish and of climbing. The event will feature a large Adopt-a-Crag, Michael Reardon speaking about his freesoloing feats, a big party and fundraiser, and a fun competition. And, we hope, a lot of climbing and good times.

For much more on the festival, see www.squamishclimbersfestival.com.

Anders Ourom

Presenting Sponsors: Arc'Teryx, The Edge Climbing Centre, Mountain Equipment Co-op.

Partners: District of Squamish, Squamish Adventure Centre, B.C. Parks, Squamish Access Society.

Other Sponsors: Valhalla Pure Outfitters, Climb On, On Sight Equipment, Blurr Designs, Black Diamond, Petzl, Flashed, Metolius Mountain Products, Escape Route, Escape Public Affairs & Kimanda Jarzebiak, Rock & Ice, Gripped, Therm-a-Rest, Pause Cafe, Nice Industries, Lions Gate Drywall, the Access Fund, Gore-Tex, Clif Bar, and Recreational Equipment Co-op.

Steve Townshend

Post by Steve Townshend » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:54 pm

Question about the climbing competition...

- Can one climb ANYthing they want (within 50km of Squamish)? or are there specific routes (trad + sport) and boulder problems to do? if you can climb ANYTHING, are there any judges or do you need a witness or two or is it just the 'honor system'? Do you get points for specific grades?

Some more specific info about the event (the info on the website is very vauge) i'm sure will help people to get psyched about it.

Cheers,
Steve

PS. about a completely different post..... (Re: Shitting behind the Split Pillar)....
Don't sh*t on or near climbing (a crag or a multi-pitch route!), it's nasty! sh*t in a toilet/outhouse or if in the woods, make sure you're FAR from ANY climbing or potential NEW climbing (like an unbolted/unclimbed boulder) and BURRY IT!!!!! (and burn your TP).

and as far as passing slow parties on routes.... it's like Golf (or DiscGolf); i say if they're slow and you're fast, pass 'em!! it's a judgement call...

Access Society of BC

Post by Access Society of BC » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:08 pm

Thanks for the questions, Steve. There should now be more information on the festival website about the competition, but I'll try to summarize here. Before doing so, I want to emphasize that is supposed to be a fun, inclusive competition. We want lots of people to get out for the day, maybe push themselves a little, and enjoy themselves. Don't take it too seriously - it's only climbing, eh?

There are no monetary prizes. We're promised good gear from many of the sponsors, for the festival generally and the competition. About half the prizes will be for performance, and half for other things.

1. $5/person.

2. Recreational: boulders up to V3, classic ('trad') leads up to 5.10b, sport leads to 5.10d.

3. Advanced: boulders up to V7, classic ('trad') leads up to 5.11c, sport leads to 5.12a.

4. Open: everybody else. (We reserve the right to re-categorize.)

5. There'll also be a team category - three persons/team, one over 40, one under 24. (?) Team members must only climb with each other.

6. Everybody has to register and sign a waiver, at the Adventure Centre between 8:30 and 9:00. Scoresheets only issued at registration.

7. Climbs must be within 50 km of Squamish, finished between 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM, done cleanly, and witnessed independently.

8. You get points for the hardest climb cleanly completed/led in each of the three groups - boulder, classic, sport. No stepladders, hangs, grappling hooks, shoulder stands, or other trickery allowed. Preplaced quick draws on sport leads ok, preplaced protection on classic climbs not ok.

9. You must complete at least one climb in two of the three groups, and get graded only for the top climb in each. Climbs and grades as recognized in The Climbers Guide to Squamish, Squamish Bouldering, Squamish Select, or as generally accepted by the climbing community.

10. Points according to an ascending scale - should be on the website.

11. Post-competition social and prizes 4:30 PM, Adventure Centre.

About half the prizes will be performance oriented. Top three in each category, top three teams. If there are enough climbers to justify it, we'll have other categories, e.g. by age or sex. There'll also be some draw prizes, and a few fun prizes, e.g. best costume, hardest slab, hardest off width, oldest climber, youngest climber.

We look forward to seeing everyone at the festival, and the competition. There should be a further posting and update on the website early next week, as well as a broadcast e-mail. To ensure you get the latter, send a note to info@access-society.ca.

Anders

Steve Townshend

Post by Steve Townshend » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:56 am

Anders,
Thanks for the reply. i'm glad you pointed out it shouldn't be taken too seriously; it's for FUN!!! i stopped competing over 7 yrs ago because people take comps WAY too seriously and it wasn't FUN anymore (which to me is the whole point of climbing!), plus i don't really care how i measure up to anybody else, or how they measure up to me, i couldn't care less if i am stronger or less strong than somebody else! I only care if i am stronger or less strong then I WAS in the past. Also, i don't climb in a gym anymore (which is where most competitions take place!), so this is great that it will be an outdoor Event!

It sounds like it will be a good time, so i'll try to be there....

Thanks again for the Info.
Steve

Steve Townshend

weather....

Post by Steve Townshend » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:38 am

what if it rains?

Dooley

Post by Dooley » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:59 am

Then you hold a drinking competition!