Climbing over a safe, sweet water landing?

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Soontobe
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Climbing over a safe, sweet water landing?

Post by Soontobe » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:25 am

I have been lucky enough to find some cool routes on rock where if you biff you land in deep, clear, refreshing water. It is the best thing that I've experienced in climbing. I love the highballs that can be tackled and you win whether you make the move or if you miss.

My experiences have mostly been on remote canyon walls and ocean side in Costa Rica.

My question is this: Are there any such opportunities around Squamish or area? I've heard that possibly around Vancouver and the surrounding parks there may be some opportunity for this.

Any suggestions? Here or abroad?

erock

Post by erock » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:21 pm

http://www.mattmaddaloni.com/News%20Roo ... oloing.htm

I think there is some potential. might need a boat though.

happy trails

e

stick

Post by stick » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:54 pm

there is a deep water boulder prob or 2 in the gorge just past star check area before the river enters that nasy canyon.... otherwise the most amazing place that i have found is off the south tip of texada island, there are 2 islands called lasquetti and jediah. Enen the the sea kayak trip is worth it but if you go take your shoes and there is some amazing deep w. soloing!! so good I even considered telling josh lowell to get sharma out there but it's bad enough i'm telling all of you let alone have it on a widely distributed video.
most of the stuff around van has skechy rocks to land on but those other cliffs are sheer.

Soontobe
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by Soontobe » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:56 am

I love the idea of deep water soloing. For right now I'm looking for something a bit less intense? A place where I can introduce a non climber to the joys of climbing with no risk of injury, just swimming bliss, upon landing.

I've heard of a spot in North Van in a canyon, possibly along Lynn River, that has this potential. But it is not overhangy at all and the landings aren't ideal supposedly. I'm gonna check it out this month hopefully.

Thanks for the suggestions so far you guys!

matt maddaloni
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

"Fight or Flight" and "Try Honesty"

Post by matt maddaloni » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:22 am

Other then "Heaven" DWS area on the Chek river these two routes are the only other deep water soloing routes in Squamish. Check out www.mattmaddaloni.com for details.
mm

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:51 pm

There you have it folks - Matt has spoken.

That's a pretty bold statement, don't you think?

J

XXXX

Post by XXXX » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:50 pm

The Cheakamus River is full of Whistler's flushed sewage. No Thanks.
There are lots of boulder problems and DWS type lines in the Gulf Islands. I can think of one three mile long 5.8 traverse on sandstone pockets near Saturna... :lol:

YetAnotherDave

Post by YetAnotherDave » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:42 pm

XXXX wrote:I can think of one three mile long 5.8 traverse on sandstone pockets near Saturna...
3 miles? :shock:

Could you post directions?