Vancouver resole

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
ctardi

Post by ctardi » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:50 am

Oh...I misunderstood what you asked him...

ras

Post by ras » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:04 am

[quote="ctardi"]Oh...I misunderstood what you asked him...[/quote]

No, I misunderstood, you wanted to know what he said about how long before taking shoes in, right?

He said if they take the sole off at the toe-end of the shoe, they have to replace the "rand" (the part that wraps around the toe, what you hit if you stub your toe. So, he said as soon as you can see a bit of the shoe through the rubber, you should bring it in. Wearing it a bit more is ok, the thing to avoid is damage to the leather,cardboard,etc under the rubber, because once they have to sew that up it gets more expensive and time consuming and the fit doesn't stay the same.

Resoling is about as expensive as they can make it, as far as I can tell. If it was $20 more expsensive, nobody would ever resole anything! Its always a tussle in my mind... new or resole, what to do. I hate spending money on gear I already have!

I got a pair of madrocks yesterday for $86, resoling is aprox $70.... I only resoled my aces because they are in good shape, they are comfortable, good for multipitch, they aren't made any more, and I think they will be strong enough to twist my toe around inside cracks.

How often do people resole their shoes?

I've never done more than two resoles. Anybody had good experiences resoling a pair of shoes more than twice? Whats the most times anybody has ever resoled a shoe and been happy about it?

ctardi

Post by ctardi » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:06 am

Thanks. :D

thebigchin

Post by thebigchin » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:17 pm

ras wrote:the guy started chewing me out, told me he'd already explained everything I needed to know, he wasn't going to explain anything anymore. I tried again to tell him I wasn't disputing the work he'd have to do, just wanted to know if it would be better to bring the shoes in a bit earlier. He got even more hostile.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Classic!!! Man, that dude was pissed off and cranky back in 1990 when I started climbing and he was the only option in town. He's kind of built a reputation for that kind of service. Sorta like the old Elbow Room restaurant, where people would go to get abused.

Reno's across and a block or two east of MEC has been pretty good for me.