WILD at ADVENTURE!

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Jason Kruk
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Jason Kruk » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:39 pm

Greg Hill on Friday was really good - good public speaker and seems like a total brother. I'm not sure if you're a skier or have an appreciation for the activity, but Greg is a total savage. Considering the night had a skier on the bill I am confused as to why you would call it a 'climb-type' event?

Just couldn't let that slide... I got stoked for the vertical after hearing his talk, so I would call that a successful slideshow!

J

pinner

Post by pinner » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:13 am

I referred to it as a 'climb-type' event as this is the first of 6 similar events without climbing on the bill that I have attended to at this location, presented by this group.

I am most definitely a skier.

I too felt definite stoke at some of Greg's shots, such as the au cheval ridge crossing, and dropping into the Forever Young couloir. However, though there were indeed several great shots, I found the majority of the camera work poor, Greg's delivery monotonous and at times arrogant, and most of the skiing of the type typical of what my friends and I do when we tour.

My partner found he glossed over the hazards of backcountry skiing (she worked for 3 years for the UBC Avalanche Team, and was a major influence - in fact, she essentially wrote several chapters without credit - on the current issue of McClung's Avalanche Handbook, and so is definitely focussed on this area) with comments such as - and I paraphrase here - "we were pretty worried, snowpack was sketchy, but we skied it and it was all good".

Just my 2 cents

pinner

Post by pinner » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:21 am

A couple high points, as the evening did have them:

Greg's focus on his skiing partners and his family were great.

The extent of the tours; when I said in my last post "typical of what my friends and I ski" I was referring to steepness and type of terrain, not amount of area covered - in this regard, Greg and his boys are indeed savage. I can only look forward to tours of the length he was skiing.

The more I type, I realize that perhaps I was jaded with the poor quality of the short videos, and left bummed by the tragedy of Solo. As the big mountains of the Selkirks are coming back to me, scenes from Fairy Meadows, and the amount of energy spent in canoeing to and from snowdays, not to mention the massive daily vert these guys logged, I was far more arrogant than Greg - and inaccurate - by saying this is how my friends and I tour. We don't.

Thanks for giving me pause to think, and my head a shake!

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:36 pm

Just to be clear since there seems to be some not so friendly posts.

I dont want my post to be construed as a negative attack on Jeremy I was just posting what I felt was correct info as supplied by Jeremy.

I dont know J , I have seen him around we have a few communal friends and I have never heard anything but good things about him. I would have to say that his resume is quite robust and wether you consider him elite or not he sure seems to get out there and he sure seems to get it done.

Cheers

jesse mason