Student research project

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Joolie
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Student research project

Post by Joolie » Sat May 10, 2008 4:18 pm

I am considering a proposal for a student research project that would involve updating the rock climbing strategy for the Stawamus Chief, Shannon Falls and Murrin provincial parks. Was hoping to solicit some feedback from the local climbing community regarding thoughts on the need or usefulness of a new management strategy as well as what the main issues might be (eg; parking, access, vegetation removal, fixed anchors, camping, bird closures etc)? Any comments would be appreciated!

ps. link to current strategy document
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explor ... awamus.pdf

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Sat May 10, 2008 4:37 pm

I would be interested in knowing if the milestones described in the original document were met and if the yearly meetings took place. Strange that this document has not been revised in 8 or more years.

Tyrone Brett

Post by Tyrone Brett » Tue May 13, 2008 4:33 pm

Hi Joolie,

Tyrone Brett here from the Squamish Access Society. We have been in touch with BC Parks, the District of Squamish and others with regards to a comprehensive climbing stewardship strategy which would as well include a revamp of the existing park strategy. The initiative is on the cusp of getting started and will include a broad outreach to the climbing public. I think most of us can agree something is warranted. If you want to learn more I can be reached at info@squamishaccess.ca I am on the road currently but hope to have some email capability.

Cheers,
Tyrone