WTF! is up with the weather.

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
PAW

Post by PAW » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:44 am

No I bought the shirt

WHO NEEDS BIG JUGS
When you've got a
GREAT CRACK
CLIMB SQUAMISH

Not a wet crack.

Dont be fooled the North Gulley was just as exciting with the river that was running down it, I still like to adventure in the rain too. Just not 5.9 fist/offwidth.
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Rockitman
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by Rockitman » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:04 am

I'm sure the gully was exciting, never gone up it but heard stories. The most exciting part of St Vitus was actually the green death slabs at the top (5.2, slightly run out and yes, green!). :D

Dru

Post by Dru » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:53 pm

Axel wrote:
Friday was on MY weekend
I'm jealous! So where would I find this guide book. I don't think I've ever seen it anywhere. Rock wouldn't happen to be limestone would it?
It's out of print but not hard to photocopy. I bought mine at PedalSports in 2001.

The rock is granite. The crags are similar to the Bulletheads in character and size, with lots of knobs.

There is limestone near Harrison but not developed for climbing, about a 2 hr bushwack to get to in fact.

Axel

Post by Axel » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:58 pm

Ya I've been perusing the bc Gov. Mining index. I noticed a few limestone deposits that according to the website are exposed. I have GPS coord. but haven't gotten around to finding them. I'm itching to develop some limestone. I'm getting sick of granite.

the alpine scrub

Post by the alpine scrub » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:25 am

i found a good sized limestone bluff (30+m) out near Chilliwack, its on a bend on elk view road as you head up towards the elk view trail. There is a pretty cool overhanging boulder underneath the main cliff - holds will absolutely explode off if its wet out though.

heres a google earth link to show you exactly where it is. not sure if its on private land ?

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:12 am

where's a google earth link to show us exactly where it is?

Axel

Post by Axel » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:07 am

Hey, "Alpine Scrub" can you please edit your post to include the link.

Oh wait, you can't. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Axel

Post by Axel » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:33 pm

OMG! It didn't rain today. Wooohoooo!

the alpine scrub

Post by the alpine scrub » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:39 am

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:51 pm

that's mighty close to town. hmm... lets see if Drew almighty knows anything more bout this cliff.

well 'Dru'?

Axel

Post by Axel » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:15 pm

Thanks. That appears to be one of the same locations I came across on the mining index. I'll have to check it out.

the alpine scrub

Post by the alpine scrub » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:15 pm

good parking spot by the mailboxes at the pullout NW, just a short hike along the road from there.

Dru

Post by Dru » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:28 am

Brendan wrote:
that's mighty close to town. hmm... lets see if Drew almighty knows anything more bout this cliff.

well 'Dru'?
It is on undeveloped private land, and if it's the one I think it is, that you can see from the road, it wouldn't be the greatest cliff to develop because any holds you pull off will land on cars driving by!
Also, it isn't limestone. It's a sandstone, I think.

There are a ton of good limestone cliffs further out the valley though...

Axel

Post by Axel » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:40 pm

I'm going to head out and explore that way on Sat. I think. Can anyone point me in the righ direction or are you keeping them all secret?

Dru

Post by Dru » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:24 am

Drive on the regular Chilliwack Lake road to Foley creek turnoff. Scoping to your left as you go, look north across the river.

At Foley Creek, turn off and come back along the river on the north side (Chilliwack Bench Road), take side logging spur to below or above cliff of choice. Access to some crags is across undeveloped private forest land but the crags themselves all seem to be on Crown land.

The most developed crag is at the mouth of Airplane Creek on the east side with routes from 10d to mid 12 as of the last time I was there.

There is more nice limestone up Borden Creek but it will be snowy up there now and anyways the bridge is out.

The crag directly off Chilliwack Lake Road at Slesse Creek bridge has about 20 established limestone boulder problems on the pocketed band at the base, and 2? established sport routes, 5.10+ and 11b.

There is limestone in lower Slesse Creek too but it is generally a b%$ch to get to.

If you are out in Chilliwack Valley anyhow, another nice crag to check out is a granite wall up Post Creek at Lindeman Lake (45 minute hike on good trail). There are ~4 established routes from the 90s and a couple aid lines/projects. Lots of boulders below this crag as well and a couple established problems.