torching? How about brushing?

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Tyrone Brett

torching? How about brushing?

Post by Tyrone Brett » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:57 pm

Okay, all this talk about adverse effects on rock has got me thinking. Torch: maybe... maybe.... a few hard core locals. Brushes: hundreds if not thousands of visitors each year, with thousands upon thousands of brush strokes every season. Effect or no effect?
Tyrone
adendum: what has created the polished crystals on Easy and Superfly: hands, brushes, coarse chalk...?

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:52 pm

there's gotta be some sort of damage to the rock. if not now, then in the future!? i wonder how much damage nylon bristle brushes do? someone should do a test on a non-important piece of squamish granite, where they do thousands of strokes and wait for the results!! :o

Mike C.

Post by Mike C. » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:58 am

my guess is that its a combination of frequent brushing, chalk and human remanent. hence the sometimes yellow cake goodness that shows up at the end of summer on problems like easychair. good thing our winters are so laden with preciptation or else middle eastern countries might try and poach our potentially uranium rich sloping traverses. if its not uranium causing the yellowing then we must ooze genetic material from our skin that corrodes the surface of the granite.
And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? --Homer Simpson

Dooley

Post by Dooley » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:47 am

Mike C. wrote: if its not uranium causing the yellowing then we must ooze genetic material from our skin that corrodes the surface of the granite.
Its the THC leaching through! :?

rich k

Re: torching? How about brushing?

Post by rich k » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:34 pm

Tyrone Brett wrote:Effect or no effect?
effect. but there's no way climbers (myself included) would listen if there was a no-brushing rule in effect.

are there things we can do to minimize impact? yup.
- you could wash holds that have chalk caked-on them with water, or rubbing alcohol to clean them. this works better than a chalk brush anyways.
- you could get a boars hair brush and use it instead. hairs are super soft and would do less damage, plus the brush definitely works better than the more mainstream ones

any other suggestions?

mcgarnickle

Re: torching? How about brushing?

Post by mcgarnickle » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:30 pm

rich k wrote:
Tyrone Brett wrote:Effect or no effect?
effect. but there's no way climbers (myself included) would listen if there was a no-brushing rule in effect.

are there things we can do to minimize impact? yup.
- you could wash holds that have chalk caked-on them with water, or rubbing alcohol to clean them. this works better than a chalk brush anyways.
- you could get a boars hair brush and use it instead. hairs are super soft and would do less damage, plus the brush definitely works better than the more mainstream ones

any other suggestions?

Boar's hair brush??? Why don't we use harp seal hair brushes? They are much softer still, definitely won't harm the precious ROCKS. Let's skin some other animals to make brushes for cleaning chalk.
Rubbing alcohol? You're very insensitive to our environment dood, me, I carry Patron platinum instead, I love my environment you know, that stuff cleans much better. When I run out, I go down to Grey Goose. Someone should do a study on some piece of rock to see if they will ever really save the planet...

rich k

Post by rich k » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:34 pm

thanks for the comment mcgarnickle. you sound like an extremely intelligent person.