Left Gear on Calculus Crack

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.

If you find gear on a climb, is it yours?

Poll ended at Tue May 23, 2006 10:57 am

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 17

Climbingjunky

Post by Climbingjunky » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:41 am

I'm quite shocked at the poll results. I thought climbers had a better reputation for this. :?

c-plus

Post by c-plus » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:57 am

Clive kessler wrote: Or maybe they couldn't get a jammed piece out and decided to move on. The way I look at that is; I have a job. My time is worth money. I will only waste so much time (money) on trying to retrieve a $10 piece. If some jobless hippie wants to spend 2 hours (and cut the sh*t out of there hands) to remove the piece its theirs (at $5 an hour).
i totally agree. most of the gear i've found on climbs consists of welded-in nuts that the climber obviously couldn't get out. i usually consider that gear free for anyone willing to put in the time to get it out. that being said, i'm not really sure how much i'd trust the gear... :?

MCpl

Post by MCpl » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:22 pm

Climbingjunky,
Before you make a comment on climbers' reputations based on an unofficial online poll, you have to first keep in mind the context of which the original question was asked. There has also been discussed in this thread, many circumstances in which aquiring gear whilst climbing would be "acceptable" by most of us.

This reputation that you're so shocked at is one of exprience. Climbers with a lot of mileage under their belts can tell if a piece of gear has been left behind because had to bail on it. I can also assure you that their new found aquisition is not meant to add to their array of usable/trustable gear.

XXXX

Post by XXXX » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:20 am

on the contrary, some of the best pieces on my rack are booty. :D

Climbingjunky

Post by Climbingjunky » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:37 am

MCpl wrote:Climbingjunky,
Before you make a comment on climbers' reputations based on an unofficial online poll, you have to first keep in mind the context of which the original question was asked. There has also been discussed in this thread, many circumstances in which aquiring gear whilst climbing would be "acceptable" by most of us.

This reputation that you're so shocked at is one of exprience. Climbers with a lot of mileage under their belts can tell if a piece of gear has been left behind because had to bail on it. I can also assure you that their new found aquisition is not meant to add to their array of usable/trustable gear.
You have a good point McPl, I guess it depends on the situation and type of gear and what your underlying motivations are. I didn't mean to label all climbers, it was simply a response to the climbers who voted in this thread. I guess was too fixated on the fact that if it's not my gear and I don't really know to any extent how reliable it is, then why should i keep it? Thanks for the clarification :)