Warning for Smoke bluff climbers

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Cloudraker

Post by Cloudraker » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:19 pm

Sounds like a good shite-kicking would solve the problem.

XXXX

Post by XXXX » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:00 pm

couple years ago some kids chucked rocks at us from the top of ronin's corner. we chased them thru the bluffs, caught them near octopus garden. after taking them to the top of the cliff and telling them we were going to throw them off, :twisted: we ended up calling the police, who came and picked them up and took them to the cop shop and called their parents to come get them. and i hope their mill working dads gave them a good beating that night!

Climbingjunky

Post by Climbingjunky » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:48 am

I'm glad that nobody got hurt in that situation. I feel bad for that kid who threw the rocks. He really must have some deep traumatic issues that he would resort to doing harm towards others. No emotional healthy person would do such a thing. What he really needs is someone to talk to him one on one or some counselling and get his head straightened out. All this negative talk about revenge doesn't help.

psychedelic

Post by psychedelic » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:36 pm

Sounds like good training for popular valley walls! Next just have someone piss on you and you are totally "trained" for the well traveled wall routes.

Otherwise falling rocks are just general alpine training. When I was in the bugs people were literaly running away from this one climb cause the guys above kept knocking stuff down. They told us we should climb else where cause it was too dangerous. Luckly I've had enough rocks chucked at me through my life to feel calm in such a situation.

That said that fucker needs to be dealt with before something serious happens. But how in the hell does one deal with a kid that stupid? XXXX's story seems like a good way, police and parents end up both being aware of the culprit, that generally makes one self more hesitant to cause the same sort of trouble given that he is known for it.

c-plus

Post by c-plus » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:18 pm

i was up at burgers and fries a couple years ago when someone lobbed three or four beer bottles (empty of course!) down from the top of the cliff... someone could've gotten hurt pretty bad if they'd been hit. i lowered off my friend whom i was belaying and ran up to the top with a friend, but the punks had run off by then. was kinda hoping that it had been an isolated prank, but i guess not. :evil:

tattooed_climber

Post by tattooed_climber » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:20 pm

prob the same c*mstain that broke into my truck :roll:
Nothing like the sound of thumpin' a piton first thing in the morning...

iff
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by iff » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:01 pm

Its getting worse. I heard that some crazy local has gone on a bolt cutting rampage in the bluffs...

Tenn

Post by Tenn » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:47 pm

That's nothing new. Not that I condone or understand it - its the freakin bluffs afterall. Not like its El Cap or even the grand wall.

Come to think of it, belays on both the nose and the grand are bolted from bottom to top. For some reason it can't happen in the bluffs...

XXXX

Post by XXXX » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:09 am

GOD FORBID that someone climbing in the Bluffs might actually have to sling a tree or build a gear anchor! :roll:

WhiskeyKid
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by WhiskeyKid » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:53 am

Man, falling rocks and sticks? Sounds just like a day on Yam (shudder).