Bad accident at the crest

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
bike

Post by bike » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:25 am

I built MOMD and was sad to here of an accident on a route I established.
My sincere condolences to the family and friends of Lois.

If you would like to place a plaque. I would have no problem with you doing so. It would also act as a reminder to others to be safe.
:(

Cara_Biner
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by Cara_Biner » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:30 am

My suggestion would be a plaque or memorial by the tree that she came to rest upon. Perhaps a plaque directly on the climb may make some climbers a little less likely to use the climb, and change the atmosphere of the Crest some what. Only my opinion, not necessarily the opinion of all climbers.

Tenn

Post by Tenn » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:35 pm

Every time I'm roping up at the base of exasperator I definitely think twice about safety. Those that don't know some one got dropped there are more likely to repeat past mistakes.

People need to realize that climbing IS a dangerous sport and mistakes are way too costly. It can happen to you.

Condolences to the friends and family. A plaque is a good memorial and may serve to prevent similar problems in the future.

Climbingjunky

Post by Climbingjunky » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:38 pm

Tenn wrote:
A plaque is a good memorial and may serve to prevent similar problems in the future.
How about actual signs at the different climbing areas saying 'Be careful!'. I know that, people should already know this, however people do forget. Perhaps when people see the signs before they climb, it will actually make them think about safety first?

Just my 2 cents. :roll:

bike

Post by bike » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:41 pm

There is plenty of room to place it on the bottom as well.
I think what ever the family/friends do will be just fine.

LittleRedHen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Plaque Dedication for Lois Nordstrom

Post by LittleRedHen » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:27 pm

We would like to have a celebration and dedication in memory of Lois Ann Nordstrom. To that end, there will be a plaque dedication on Saturday, September 9th at the Chek climbing area. We will meet at the Tim Hortons in Squamish and carpool from there.

To those who knew Lois or whose lives were touched by Lois, please attend. Anyone who was at Chek climbing area on May 14th, I encourage you to come along. This will be a time for talking and sharing.

We would like to make a picnic of the gathering and encourage everyone to bring a little something. We will try to have tea/coffee and nibblies available but will likely be of limited quantity.

When: Saturday, September 9th, 2006
Meeting Location: Squamish, Tim Hortons
Meeting Time for carpool: 11:30
Carpool leaving time: 12:00
Destination: Conroy Creek Forest Service Road, The Crest, Master of My Domain

Please PM me if you wish to go.

- Winifred