Vancouver resole

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Rock_Climber

Vancouver resole

Post by Rock_Climber » Thu May 11, 2006 9:36 am

Does anybody know of a reasonably cheap resole place in the Vancouver area that they have been satisified with? Has anyone saved money sending their shoes to the U.S. for a resole?

Tenn

Post by Tenn » Thu May 11, 2006 12:39 pm

Denman cobbler on denman street seems to be the best deal. Could also try goldstar at 16th and alma or rinos across from MEC. I think that Newport Cobbler in Squamish is closed down?

Paul
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Paul » Thu May 11, 2006 1:39 pm

I've had my shoes re-randed and re-soled at Capilano Cobbler in the Capilano Mall in North Vancouver. They did great work on my rock shoes, and I've also had them repair my mountaineering boots a few times. Highly recommended.

PAW

Post by PAW » Thu May 11, 2006 4:08 pm

quick cobbler on Denman. Awesome job, always expensive especially if you went through the rand.

Just by new shoes!!!! :twisted:

They beefed up my wall boots with extra toe caps and now they are invinsible.
GO BIG OR GO HOME

stick

Post by stick » Thu May 11, 2006 4:55 pm

I'm pretty sure that the quick cobbler on denman is out of buisness.... unless they moved. could try calling them though, they're on the web

tattooed_climber

Post by tattooed_climber » Thu May 11, 2006 7:26 pm

quick cobbler on Denman....he handles the La Sportiva warrenty work too
Nothing like the sound of thumpin' a piton first thing in the morning...

glomeruli

Post by glomeruli » Sat May 13, 2006 9:08 pm

goldstar has done a good job for me in the past, i would't say that it was a "great deal" though

dakine

cobbler

Post by dakine » Sun May 14, 2006 7:41 am

i've gone to quick cobbler several times they do good work .. they moved to west 2nd in van....

http://www.quickcobbler.com/index2.htm

ras

Post by ras » Mon May 15, 2006 9:08 pm

[quote="glomeruli"]goldstar has done a good job for me in the past, i would't say that it was a "great deal" though[/quote]

I had one of the weirdest shop-front experiences of my life at gold star. Went in with 3 pairs of shoes to resole (1 hiking boots, two climbing), conversation was agreeable enough, he explained what they would do. All good. Then I asked if I could avoid replacing the rand by bringing the shoes in a bit earlier. I don't know what happened, but the guy started chewing me out, told me he'd already explained everything I needed to know, he wasn't going to explain anything anymore. I tried again to tell him I wasn't disputing the work he'd have to do, just wanted to know if it would be better to bring the shoes in a bit earlier. He got even more hostile.

I walked out of course, and won't be going back!

My girlfriend was standing beside me in astonishment during all this. After we walked out she said "you just asked him if you should bring your shoes in earlier, right?", so I don't think I was being totally incomprehensible, somehow I just managed to step into some kind of twilight zone...

I'll try Quickcobbler.

social climber
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by social climber » Wed May 17, 2006 9:23 am

I also recommend Quick Cobbler (West 2nd) - great service, fast and very friendly. I'm getting my shoes re-randed and resoled there right now, and have had mountaineering boots worked on there too, great results.

I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by 76 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:07 pm

Paul wrote:I've had my shoes re-randed and re-soled at Capilano Cobbler in the Capilano Mall in North Vancouver. They did great work on my rock shoes, and I've also had them repair my mountaineering boots a few times. Highly recommended.

does anyone know what's the price range for repairing rock shoes at the Capilano Cobbler

ctardi

Post by ctardi » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:07 pm

Just got a business card for Gold Star from the gym today, so if their cards are there, i'm guessing they are decent.

3308 Dunbar
www.goldstarshoerebuilders.com

Looks like I may have to try them out some time soon. :(

ras

Post by ras » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:05 pm

I'll try Quickcobbler.
Tried them, took an old but still favorite pair of Aces in, and they were pretty fast (less than a week), and I'm happy with the resole.

Also, I asked how long I can wear my shoes before I should bring them in and have the best chances of a good resole, and instead of getting angry, the guy just told me. That shouldn't be surprising, but it was a nice change, after (trying to) deal with goldstar.

Also conveniently close to MEC and the Vancouver Cliffhangers.

ctardi

Post by ctardi » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:12 pm

How long did he say?

ras

Post by ras » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:24 pm

[quote="ctardi"]How long did he say?[/quote]

I have such a terrible memory... he said "next tuesday", I *think* I went in on a Thursday, or was it saturday? Sorry, don't remember exactly, but still less than a week.