Best Beginner Trad Routes??

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Cody
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Best Beginner Trad Routes??

Post by Cody » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:03 pm

Hello, I have been TR and sport climbing for a little while and I would like to break into Trad.

Any recommendations on routes that are easy and safe for first time trad lead?

jonny2vests

Re: Best Beginner Trad Routes??

Post by jonny2vests » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:29 am

The easy routes at Sugarloaf, The Commonwealth (both at Murrin) and Daycare at the Smoke Bluffs all provide nice straight forward climbing where you can place lots of gear from stable positions.

hevyduty

Post by hevyduty » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:05 am

h Hey jonny wheres Daycare at the bluffs! never heard of the crag ? area?

hevyduty

Post by hevyduty » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:20 am

hey Cody the best crags to learn to trad climb are in the bluffs ,The Sugarloaf is abolted easy sport crag ,the Commonwealth crag is great crag but its not place to learn to place gear, its tall and tricky!The Nursery ,Call it A day,tunnel rock Lumberland 2nd Ave,Respiration rock have some of the best easy trad routes in the bluffs go climb them Hevy

jonny2vests

Post by jonny2vests » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:00 pm

hevyduty wrote:h Hey jonny wheres Daycare at the bluffs! never heard of the crag ? area?
Oh, yeah, Call it a Day. Daycare is in Skaha I think. Stupid.

FWIW, I think Sugarloaf is better for your first day ever, than any of of the bluffs crags. You can even do a mini multipitch on Lieback Crack.

hevyduty

Post by hevyduty » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:57 pm

hey j The easy climbs at 2nd Ave are some of the the best easy routes in squamish at 2nd Ave you have the opportunity to climb 4 two pitch routes,under 5/10 . At lumberland you have 5 options for two pitch routes starting at 5/6 . Have u climbed at 2nd ave yet? cheers Hevy

Mike C.

Post by Mike C. » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:11 pm

My vote is for Call it a Day or Second Ave in the Bluffs. If you want first time climbers to lose interest in rock climbing in under five minutes, then by all means take them to Sugerloaf.
And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? --Homer Simpson

jonny2vests

Post by jonny2vests » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:46 pm

Last edited by jonny2vests on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonny2vests

Post by jonny2vests » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:52 pm

Mike C. wrote:If you want first time climbers to lose interest in rock climbing in under five minutes, then by all means take them to Sugerloaf.
We're not talking about first time climbers, Cody wants to learn to trad lead. Impressing them is low on the agenda because they've already been around the block a bit.

I think the gear at Second Avenue is both fiddly and on some routes, sparse.

Drew

Post by Drew » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:25 am

Have spent 20-odd years walking right by the 2nd Ave stuff because the crag was so broken and rambling it wasn't inspiring enough to scrub.

Sugarloaf suffers from being busy, but the routes are some of the best easy trad around - solid, well-protected, wide variety of gear to place. Great place to learn gear placement on lead.

Funarama also has lots of well-protected easy trad leads. Squatter's Rights and First Class in particular suck up gear and are long enough you can place a lot of it.

jonny2vests

Post by jonny2vests » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:53 am

hevyduty wrote:The Sugarloaf is abolted easy sport crag
Just noticed that. Maybe you're talking about the Sugarloaf in Skaha? :D

jstod

Post by jstod » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:02 pm

FWIW my girlfriend just did her first gear lead a few weeks ago, at sugarloaf. She'd led a fair bit of sport prior and had followed/cleaned a lot of gear too so the objectives for her first lead were for her to get used to choosing which gear to place and for me to check the quality of the placements.

At sugarloaf you can get a good stance every two feet or so, making it very easy to sew it up. Also, the climbing can be easy to the point that falling is virtually a non-issue if you've climbed and led a bit of sport before. Downside to that crag is the crowds but we were lucky enough to have it for ourselves that day.

From sugarloaf it has been an easy transition to some of the 5.8's at commonwealth and the new crag around the corner.

Julian

jonny2vests

Post by jonny2vests » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:01 pm

Yeah totally agree.

And once you've polished off the easy stuff it turns out there are some pretty good routes lurking away at Sugarloaf; Stairway, Orphan & Holiday in Cambodia (perfect early 5.8s), then there's some good harder stuff too; Thriller off the Void, Heavy Charge, Hot Wire, Block & Tackle, there's barely a shite move at the entire crag.

I think naysayers are too quick to dismiss it having only seen one side of one block covered in beginners.

Cody
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Cody » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:28 pm

Hey, thanks everybody for the suggestions! Can't wait until Saturday to hit the rock.

Since the my first question was answered so well I'll ask another. I don't have the funds to buy a rack of cams but I can afford nuts/hexes.

How many of what sized pieces would you suggest getting to get me started?

Thanks a lot.