2012 Squamish Mountain Festival Date Announced July 11-15

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

2012 Squamish Mountain Festival Date Announced July 11-15

Post by squamish climber » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:45 pm

Another great Squamish Mountain Festival is in the works. I had a real blast last year - met so many great people and enjoyed the climbing culture vibe. Plan to attend this event wherever you are. So far the website just has the dates and film submission entry forms. BTW I enjoyed the local films a lot, hopefully more folks are thinking of polishing up their YouTube / Vimeo gems and submitting them to the festival.

Anybody have any memories / highlights of last year's festival?
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2012 Squamish Mountain Festival Date Announced July 11-1

Post by squamish climber » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:23 am

So I was flipping through the June issue of Climbing Magazine and saw this full page ad for the SQMF. I really like the art-work for this poster. Nice job festival folks.

The festival is a few weeks away. I'm hoping all this crap cool weather will dissipate and a solid High pressure will settle in by mid-July just in time for the festival. However, last year the weather was iffy and I still had an excellent time.

Once again squamishclimbing.com is a media sponsor for the event. Look for my table at the film nights, drop by and say hello. One of the highlights, was meeting so many people and soaking in the energy from climbers from all over swapping stories. If you haven't been before, you should try to go.

Here is a little summary of the festival from the folks at Arc'teryx the major sponsor:
  • A five-day celebration of all things rock gears up for its 7th annual gathering of climbers with sticky fingers and an insatiable thirst for new routes, techniques and climbing culture.
    Building on the platform of previous years, the 2012 event adds a unique evening with filmmakers Cristian Begin and Jim Martinello for a behind the scenes discussion of The Man Who Can Fly, a new film about the legendary climber and base jumper Dean Potter.
    Workshop initiatives cover the spectrum from beginners, to climbers looking for a greater degree of finesse. Gear manufacturers Five Ten, La Sportiva, Maxim Ropes, Scarpa, Black Diamond and MEC join Arc'teryx at the onsite trade expo with demos for people who don't have equipment or who are looking to try new products.
    Squamish Mountain Festival (SQMF) culture has appeal for those interested in how to explore the vertical world, what makes climbers tick, or anyone interested in a good story. Opening night's title event is Squamish Rocks, a series of 7 speakers on 7 topics for 7 minutes; Friday has Wild Adventures Night; Saturday hosts Glen Denny and Will Stanhope for Big Wall Night and then the grand finale, DJ Riddim Fernadez plays at the Brew Pub to a tropical paradise themed party.
    SQMF unites international interest with home-grown enthusiasm. A spectacular natural setting, uniquely situated on the west coast near a major city, Squamish welcomes all participants to enjoy and relax in this pristine environment.
    SQMF takes place July 11-15, 2012. Tickets are available at The Squamish Adventure Centre and Valhalla Pure Squamish. View the full schedule and book online at: http://www.squamishmountainfestival.com
Dave Jones - site admin

quantum7

Post by quantum7 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:00 pm

I havent read anything about the photo comp which usually takes place at the brew pub on thurs night. Anyone know if this has been cut from the festival?

jennyma
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by jennyma » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:52 am

quantum7 wrote:I havent read anything about the photo comp which usually takes place at the brew pub on thurs night. Anyone know if this has been cut from the festival?
Hey,

Yeah, there is no photo comp this year. Too bad because it was always such a fun night, but there is just not enough new/ local talent to showcase this year. The photo comp has been replaced by a film night at Howe Sound Secondary - The Man Who Can Fly. The Steep Shot will be missed, but the film and speakers should be an interesting show instead!

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:22 am

jennyma wrote:The photo comp has been replaced by a film night at Howe Sound Secondary - The Man Who Can Fly. The Steep Shot will be missed, but the film and speakers should be an interesting show instead!
There is an interesting back story to this film I was unaware of -- local Squamish climbers
Christian Begin, Bryan Smith, Jim Martinello, Matt Maddaloni and Damien Kelly all worked together with Dean Potter. In a Squamish Chief article, festival organizer Ivan Hughes says, “They followed Potter around the world and just got some phenomenal shots of him parachuting, solo climbing, highlining and then making an incredible jump off the face of Mount Bute. They made the film for National Geographic and are planning on doing a presentation on the making of the film and will have all kinds of behind-the-scenes footage and then show the film.”

This is going to be the Canadian premier for the film.

Looking forward to it.
Dave Jones - site admin