Thirty six years ago today the Royal Hudson....

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thirty six years ago today the Royal Hudson....

Post by squamish climber » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:22 am

This brings back memories. It was 36 years ago today that the Royal Hudson #2860 began her daily run between North Vancouver and Squamish. I think the last scheduled trip ended around 2000.

I remember around 94 or 95 I was working for Extreme Mtn Gear. We opened up a shop in Squamish for the summer. Business was slow so management leased out the back to a photography company that put in an automatic film processor. They would come in around noon and drop off the negatives, and we would run them through and have the prints ready by the time the Royal Hudson got turned around and was ready to head back. That's how I spent my summer working in a climbing shop and a one hour photo all at the same time. I sure got a lot of climbing in that summer.

Another memory, I remember climbing at the Malemute, and watching the passengers watching and waving at us as it passed by. The sound of that steam engine and whistle was awesome.

Anybody remember the picture of the climber on I think it was Clean Crack with the Royal Hudson below? Who is the climber?

I'd like to hear more stories/memories of climbing in Squamish and the Royal Hudson. Please post up.
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

Anders Ourom

Re: Thirty six years ago today the Royal Hudson....

Post by Anders Ourom » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:57 pm

The photo/poster is of Hamish Fraser, soloing Clean Crack while the RH passes below. Taken by my brother. BC Rail may have tolerated climbers somewhat for the entertainment value we provided for the tourists.