wall of attrition

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
rockhogg
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

wall of attrition

Post by rockhogg » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:23 pm

anyone have any beta on this climb.
anyone know who to ask about upgrading stations on this climb?

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:06 pm

Try John Rosholt or Peder Ourom (owner of On Sight in Squamish).

I have not done it but I have heard it is just spectacular. Mostly moderate and well protected, at least up until the roofs. I do not know the state of any fixed pro on it, but if it needs it, a re-bolt and possibly a trundling might increase traffic on a route I hear is excellent.

virtual
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by virtual » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:44 pm

Did the first four pitches 2 or 3 years ago. Well worth it. At that time, the stations were okay, but a few of the bolts could have stood replacement. Gear is good, and there are a few fixed pins. Every pitch takes great pro and there is only one mandatory runout IIRC. I'll give you the benefit of my slightly hazy recollection, for what it's worth:

P1: short chimney to a corner, then somewhat runout 10b face/crack to a ledge.

P2: starts right of the belay. Thin crack (FP at crux, 11b or 10c A0) to some wild, steep flakes (10a-ish). Sling belay, I don't think there was a stance at all here.

P3: shortish corner-groove to a roomy ledge. I don't have a very good memory of this pitch, but I seem to remember it's 10a/b.

P4: long sustained layback up a humungous corner, to a crux traverse left to the belay. The crux is well protected but when I did it the holds were covered with slime. Despite the grunge this is a GREAT pitch. Sustained and tiring to a 10+ trad climber.

Descent: I think the rap stations are shown in the guidebook. I can't remember if it's 2 or 3 60m raps to the base of the route, then rap or downclimb the approach (same as U Wall).

Sorry for the vagueness. Hope this helps.