Squamish climbing gets big profile in the Guardian Newspaper

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Squamish climbing gets big profile in the Guardian Newspaper

Post by squamish climber » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:13 am

A nice travel piece on Squamish ran in the weekend edition of the Guardian / Observer. It focuses on the world class climbing and mountain biking. Those poor Brit climbers raised on grainy gritstone must be drooling at our solid granite and splitter cracks framed by mountain and ocean views. Sometimes we don't realize how good we have it.

Squamish Rock Guides, the Adventure Centre and the Howe Sound Brew Pub all get a mention. And the Wigan Pier Fish and Chip Shop in Garabaldi Highlands is used as a clever literary device to intro the story: "The road to Wigan Pier is in Squamish. It lies just off Highway 99, a slow-back eddy tucked behind the Highlands Mall with its sprawling parking lots and bland cheerfulness."

I'm going to have to check the Wigan Pier out. It's got some great reviews. It might replace the little place in Steveston where I've traditionally gone for great fish and chips.

Check it out and post your comments here. Should we be getting ready for a British rock invasion?
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

Lurch

Re: Squamish climbing gets big profile in the Guardian Newsp

Post by Lurch » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:52 pm

The fish and chips at the wigan are awesome. Highly recommended. Many post muli and cragging meals and beers have been enjoyed there by me and my friends.

Mike