Sonnie Trotter auctioning off a day of private climbing

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sonnie Trotter auctioning off a day of private climbing

Post by squamish climber » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:57 am

Sonnie Trotter's latest blog post has a great description of what it mean's to be part of the climbing community and the responsibility that goes with it.
Community is a funny thing. Many of my climbing friends are tough, resilient, island like creatures. We go about our days often on our own, sometimes thinking we don’t really need anybody – but the reality is much different. We all rely on people everyday, for a belay, a ride, a beer, a place to crash, an extra #1 camalot for that secret proj, a job, you name it, WE are a community. The longer I climb, the prouder I am to be a part of it and the outdoor community at large. Generally speaking, we’re passionate people, who care a lot about our environment, and try to live as responsibly (and reasonably) as possible. We tend to see the world in a similar fashion, having similar concerns, dreams, ambitions, and that brings us closer together, no matter how far apart we might live.
Sonnie wrote that as a prelude to his decision to offer a day of private climbing with him to a charity auction for climber/alpinist Bean Bowers who is fighting back late stage cancer. Bean sounds like an awesome climber with a great selfless attitude.

Here's how Sonnie described his contribution to the auction
if you’d like to go climbing for the day with me, or if you have a dream line you want to tick off your classics list, but can’t recruit a partner or rope gun, or if you just want to learn rope work and refine some skills, then make a bid at the auction for a really great cause and I’ll be MORE than happy to spend the day with you
Sounds like a great day out. Don't be shy and don't be cheap. A day of guiding like this would be worth over $400. Make your bid before auction day April 28/11. Go to Sonnie's blog for details and the link to the charity site for Bean Bowers. As Sonnie says, these selfless acts are what community is for -- making life better for everyone.
Sonnietrotter.com
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb