Yosemite Pinnacle - Left Side

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
psi4ce

Re: Yosemite Pinnacle - Left Side

Post by psi4ce » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:01 pm

Oh yeah, I know what you mean. The one big pinnacle sticks out and is visible with fog behind or sometimes in the morning sun. So what, canoe across the river?

Speaking of which, what's up with the cool-looking crags across the river on the lower slopes of Lapworth (I think it is Lapworth--and McLane mentions it in the guidebook--when you go to Wal-Mart--if you go to WalMart--and you look directly across the river, there are all these cool crags)?

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:47 pm

Take a look at this thread: squam west side of river. Interesting discussion of the climbs across the river.

Matt Maddaloni's 60 foot roof climb Titan is over there.
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

inferno

Post by inferno » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:53 pm

I climbed it with Kris (scrubber) but I am pretty sure it was earlier than 2004? It was right before the edition of McLane's guide that upgraded it from 5.8 to 5.10b. I think we went up there because we had heard that it had been sort of cleaned up at that time. I remember mantling on to some seriously decayed stumps in a few places, but other than that it actually wasn't all that bushy, just a bit dirty. It was a lesser adventure climb by the standards of Green Thumb or Crap Crags (pre Uranus or whatever that mess is) or Echelon - it actually had some enjoyable ROCK climbing on it. I remember the squeeze chimney requiring a complete deflation of ego to fit and I know that at least one of the "back off" slings on the chockstone is my cordalette that I needed to aid past the thing but couldn't untie once above. I also remember finding an old rap sling at the top made of Goldline or some other 3-strand rope.

"Scrubbing" North North Arete would be a misguided project along the same lines as the aformentioned Crap Crags. Where the rock is solid it is clean enough, and where it is not solid the bush and junk is necessary as a by-pass and no amount of scrub-n-trundle is going to help.

BK

Post by BK » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:03 pm

And remember, once you're done with teapot tower, there's always the Vulcans Thumb.

staven

Post by staven » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:40 pm

BK wrote:And remember, once you're done with teapot tower, there's always the Vulcans Thumb.
Can't wait to hear about that one!