Who's climbed at Smuggler's cove south of Britannia Beach

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Who's climbed at Smuggler's cove south of Britannia Beach

Post by squamish climber » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:56 pm

I picked up the Squamish Trail Recreation Map from the Adventure Ctre Today. I was going biking with the fam and wanted a good trail for riding with young kids. The map also shows hiking trails and put in points for kayaking. And it labels climber's trails and areas. The detail and the info on it is quite good.

I noticed they labelled an area between Seal Cove and Comic Rocks called Smuggler's Cove. It's just south of Britannia. I haven't heard of it. Has anybody climbed there? I would like to hear more about it.
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

Dru

Post by Dru » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:25 am

Nick Jones put up 4 or 5 routes there in the 90s. It is across or on private property (that beach south of Brittania that used to see a lot of illegal free camping). The routes are decent as i recall. I think it was written up in KM's 1999 guidebook.

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:52 pm

Thanks Dru, I found it on page 56 of Kevin McLane's 1999 Guide.

It reads in part:
These quite seacliffs overlooking Howe Sound are located on a headland a short walk south of Britannia Beach.

Access: The Crags and approach may lie in part on undeveloped private land, so if you visit this area, please proceed with respect and observe any signage that may be posted. The climbs are included in this guide as a matter of historical record.

There a six climbs mentioned in the guide 11a,11a,10b,10b 5.10? and an unknown.

Has anybody climbed here? Can you post some pictures?

Incidentally, I noticed on my drive to Squamish yesterday the Makin Lands which these are part of are under a court ordered sale. The website for the Makin Lands is promoting the future development of the lands as: "The Most extraordinary new town in North America".
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb