Tree down on Peasant's Crack

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
pinner

Tree down on Peasant's Crack

Post by pinner » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:27 am

Haven't seen this myself, but info from the informalex.org mailing list:
A tree has dislodged itself from the crack and fallen over the third pitch of Peasant's route on the Chief. The tree lies right across the climbing line between the two bolts on the pitch just above the crux. There is no way around it, but with some force you can bushwack your way through it.

I recommend bringing a small folding saw with you up there. Unless you are prepared to clean a little don't try to pull it out of the crack because you will send mud and debris down the pitch below it.

Conny Amelunxen
Mountain Guide
Was planning to get on this for the first time last night, but my partner did his shoulder at work. May be able to get up it this weekend with a saw. Anyone have thoughts on if it would be safe to prune/trundle this thing during daylight hours? Can a largish area at the base be clearly seen from the 3rd pitch? I seem to recall an open area, but again, I've only looked up at it as of yet.

I guess it depends on the size of the tree too...

smallman

Post by smallman » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:44 am

I did Peasant two weeks and this tree is very precariously balanced and is ready to go at anytime. I pulled on branches to get by it and nearly crapped my pants when I got around the tree and saw what was holding it up- friction. There are some huge (toaster to microwave oven sized) loose rocks in the rootball waiting to fall also. My partner and I were going to do some cleaning on rappel but it was very crowded that day and the fall line of the tree is located directly over the first pitch on Exasperator. I figure the next really large wind and rain event may send this thing down. If you planning to do the route, maybe bring some caution tape to shut off an area around exasparator, and a crowbar and pruning saw.

pinner

Post by pinner » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:05 am

so it has been there awhile eh - I was wondering. Maybe I'll wait to see if we get the rain on Sunday we're expecting and head up Monday...

jefffski

Post by jefffski » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:17 am

This seems like an accident waiting to happen. Can the base be closed as this tree and debris are removed? Sounds like it needs to be done asap, before someone gets hurt.

thanks so much for bringing this to our attention.

Optimally-Primed

Post by Optimally-Primed » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:29 am

I may be responsible for that tree being knocked over. I was up there recently and did see some debris from the Upper Black Dyke. It's possible that the big rock lodged in the root ball came from my work. I had intended on cleaning the tree when I was up there. But the ground around Exasperator and Peasant's Route wasn't clear of people.

If any of you are willing to remove it, that would be great. I'd recommend flagging off everything from Exasperator to Peasant's Route. I'm not sure how stuck it is... it may have a root or two still anchoring it. So a small saw may be needed to liberate it.

Jeremy

geary
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by geary » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:34 pm

Anyone know if the tree has been dealt with yet?

pinner

Post by pinner » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:48 pm

not by me - haven't ended up making it that way yet

jefffski

Post by jefffski » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:10 pm

not as of last week when i climbed the route. The tree is easily bypassed by a few delicate 5.9 moves below it. There is no need to climb through the tree. It also seems to be firmly attached by its roots. An annual pruning would go a long way to keeping it healthy and maintaining the stability of the crack. I would be happy to volunteer to help.

Trick

Post by Trick » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:55 am

The tree was still there yesterday. There is at least one big rock above it waiting to be dislodged. I'm pretty sure this tree needs to go. Going around is possible, but you need to fight through branches, so I think a lot of people will go over, showering those below with rock and dirt.

Vince
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Vince » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:03 am

Went up on Sept 1. The tree is still there, with the large rock resting atop the root ball. I pulled on the tree to climb through the branches, and it seemed secure enough, but given where it sits atop one of the most popular pitches in all of Squamish, it's probably wise to get rid of it.
The fallen tree and rock is also directly in line with the rap on the descent. You have to be very deliberate to avoid stepping on it.
At the minimum I feel the area should be cleaned up of dirt and large rock, but tree removal is probably best.