Cheakamus Approach and Snow

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Marc Bourdon
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Cheakamus Approach and Snow

Post by Marc Bourdon » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:02 am

On Tuesday, April 7th, we went to Cheakamus with the intention of climbing at the Circus Wall, but the conditions were not as we expected. We had to park at the highway because of snow on the road leading up to the new parking lot. The walk up the road was tricky because the snow was quite deep in places; sometimes frozen, sometimes not. We were punching through to our knees at times.

By the time we got to the Forgotten Wall, we abandoned our plan to continue, although there were some tracks in the snow leading in the direction of the main area. We climbed on the Forgotten Wall, but due to the snowpack on top of the cliff, most of the routes were seeping in one place or another. The only "plus" was that the base of the wall was pretty much snow-free to about 10 feet back. Routes we found dry: Sudden Impact, Filth Infatuated, both 5.13s, Mike's Link and the Incredible Journey.

If you go, be ready for some snow hiking and post an update so we all know what to expect!

5.4 Slayer

Post by 5.4 Slayer » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:54 am

c-plus

Post by c-plus » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:49 pm

5.4 Slayer wrote:ah, so rockstarlette is a lier?
maybe murrin is drier?

5.4 Slayer

Post by 5.4 Slayer » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:25 pm

Murrin was fantastic on the 5th. (I sucked but the weather was great)

pinner

Post by pinner » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:42 pm

from the highway today (14th) the road was clear of snow as far as I could see up it, probably lots still above the climbs though

crimptacular
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by crimptacular » Thu May 14, 2009 8:36 am

We are thinking of heading up to Cheakamus tomorrow as the long weekend weather is looking a bit wet. How has the rain been in the area lately? Will there be a few routes on Forgotten Wall and The Circus which are dry? Is the road up to the upper parking area still pretty rough? Thanks for any info...

AC

Fre

Post by Fre » Thu May 14, 2009 9:57 am

We were in Check last Thursday. The Circus is dry, and the week before that, when it didn't rain at all, everything was dry (obviously) and no snow left at all. Somehow there are even some loose chickens in the parking lot. Not quite sure how they got there.

crimptacular
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by crimptacular » Fri May 15, 2009 6:51 pm

Had an awesome day in Chek today! Climbed on Forgotten wall for most of the day and everything was dry save for some seepage on Boiler Room. Hoping for some good weather tomorrow as well to get some more in!!