Crah pad help?

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Pete L.
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Crah pad help?

Post by Pete L. » Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:42 pm

I'm finally going to break down and start bouldering.
So my question is: What is the best crash pad (for the money) to get?

tradclimb
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by tradclimb » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:38 pm

Rock_Climber

Post by Rock_Climber » Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:24 pm

Personally I don't see why someone would want such an unwieldably large crash pad unless they were planing on doing highballs a lot. In Squamish I imagine you'd have trouble getting between bolders and sometimes placing the pad. If I were you I'd go for something like the flashed temple or the MEC pad (which I think is the cheapest pad I've seen). Then, as long as you go bouldering with other people you can place the individual pads on the hazard areas of the landing(Squamish has a lot of rocks to fall on). Plus if you can pick it up at MEC you won't have to pay a shipping fee. Good luck finding one that suites you!

Pete L.
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Pete L. » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:44 pm

Thanks.
The Franklin is more than I'd like to spend, and probably bigger than I'd like but I appreciate the input.

MadAsAHatter
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by MadAsAHatter » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:17 pm

Cordless and Metolious pads are both great. I especially like the new Metolious ones with the 45 degree hinge. Both have a really good buckle system which makes them easier to handle.

Mike C.

Post by Mike C. » Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:33 am

pfff....Pete turning to bouldering...what has the world come to?
And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? --Homer Simpson

enchanted

Post by enchanted » Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:18 pm

Go with the Flashed pads. They're a great landing and both the foam and the cover are really durable and they're made in Canada. I love the 4" Master mat myself but the Temple is the most common mat used in Squamish these days. www.flashed.com

monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:41 pm

Just steal gary's monster pad for now. By the end of the season you'll realize that bouldering is dumb, and you'll be glad that you never bought one :evil:

Mike C.

Re: Crah pad help?

Post by Mike C. » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:27 pm

Pete L. wrote:I'm finally going to break down and start bouldering.

well?....what was the final choice?

or was this all just a carefully orchestrated ruse to further placate those of us with an aversion to rope climbing?
And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? --Homer Simpson