falcon closure is over, right?

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
philbob
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

falcon closure is over, right?

Post by philbob » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:57 pm

Everything I can find on the internets says the falcon closure is over as of July 31. BC parks website says the dates are subject to change, but I see nothing that says the dates have changed. Anyone know that the closure is still on?

JSmith

Post by JSmith » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:24 pm

The closure is done for the season. Game on.

mcgarnickle

Post by mcgarnickle » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:46 pm

I always find it really strange how falcons get all these special privileges, like cliffs closed just for them. What exactly makes them so special? I never heard of cliffs closed on account of crows or ravens, they're birds no less than falcons, so why?
Μολὼν λάβε

Steve J

bradley3297

Post by bradley3297 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:05 pm

maybe its because of there endangered status because of pesticides and the other birds are thriving... ya... how bout that... duh... :? :roll:
Bradley

bradley3297

Post by bradley3297 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:06 pm

hell i wouldnt want to climb anywhere near them nesting anyway. theyd probably rip you apart. those bastards can dive up to 200 mph.
Bradley

Pete L.
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Pete L. » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:47 pm

Aren't Falcons thriving in New York City?

bradley3297

Post by bradley3297 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:51 pm

The Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus), also known simply as the Peregrine,[2] and historically as the "Duck Hawk" in North America,[3] is a cosmopolitan bird of prey in the family Falconidae. It is a large, crow-sized falcon, with a blue-gray back, barred white underparts, and a black head and "moustache". As with other bird-eating raptors, the female is bigger than the male.[4][5] Authorities recognize 17–19 subspecies, which vary in appearance and range; there is disagreement over whether the distinctive Barbary Falcon is a subspecies or a distinct species.

The Peregrine's breeding range includes land regions from the Arctic tundra to the Tropics. It can be found nearly everywhere on Earth, excepting extreme polar regions, very high mountains, and most tropical rainforests; the only major ice-free landmass from which it is entirely absent is New Zealand. This makes it the world's most widespread bird of prey.[6] Both the English and scientific names of this species mean "wandering falcon", referring to the migratory habits of many northern populations.

While its diet consists almost exclusively of medium-sized birds, the Peregrine will occasionally hunt small mammals, small reptiles or even insects. It reaches sexual maturity at one year, and mates for life. It nests in a scrape, normally on cliff edges or, in recent times on tall man-made structures.[7] The Peregrine Falcon became an endangered species due to the use of pesticides, especially DDT. Since the ban on DDT from the beginning of the 1970s onwards, the populations recovered, supported by large scale protection of nesting places and releases to the wild.[8]
HENCE THERE RECOVERY> LARGE SCALE PROTECTION OF NESTING PLACES.
Bradley

ras

Post by ras » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:00 pm

[quote="mcgarnickle"]I always find it really strange how falcons get all these special privileges, like cliffs closed just for them. What exactly makes them so special? I never heard of cliffs closed on account of crows or ravens, they're birds no less than falcons, so why?[/quote]

Some routes on Pet wall were closed due to a nesting raven last year, perhaps to protect climbers from attack...