Info on routes near Chehalis River

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
mcgarnickle

Info on routes near Chehalis River

Post by mcgarnickle » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:23 am

About a mile north of the Lougheed Hwy on Chehalis FSR, you get to a nice little lake with a 70 - 100 meter crag on its west edge. A crag with excellent trad lines and a few bolted routes as well. The bolted lines are all new seeming, as in, almost no chalk, lots of lichens, and some with red tags.

Does anyone know the routes here- their grades or names? Any info would be very appreciated. I think this cliff has tons of potential and with more visitors it can only get better and more great routes be developed.
Μολὼν λάβε

Steve J

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Re: Info on routes near Chehalis River

Post by Brendan » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:33 pm

mcgarnickle wrote:About a mile north

um we're not roadtripping in the states anymore :?

glomeruli

Post by glomeruli » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:06 pm

i think you may be talking about elbow lake. i've only climbed there a couple of times with a friend who knew his way around. a little ways around the corner is a fun 2 pitch 11ish route, mostly gear with some bolts (fun roof on 2nd pitch leading to thin moves out of the crack onto the face). i think there are a lot of 11-12s around there, many of them mixed trad/sport

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:25 pm

glomeruli wrote:i think you may be talking about elbow lake. i've only climbed there a couple of times with a friend who knew his way around. a little ways around the corner is a fun 2 pitch 11ish route, mostly gear with some bolts (fun roof on 2nd pitch leading to thin moves out of the crack onto the face). i think there are a lot of 11-12s around there, many of them mixed trad/sport
is the 2 pitch .11 on the darker wall to the right of that overhanging nice face, where the climbs all start off that ledge about 70' off the ground?

what is that climb on the left which starts up a thin left trending diagonal crack, to a shallow right facing corner/ big reach to another hand crack and up past the stacked pitons to another left trending crack and a thin move to the anchors??

(i'm good at reading routes from the ground) :wink:

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:39 pm

Mike Krappo et al were developing Elbow Lake a while back. There are also routes along the road up to Hemlock and down in the Chehalis picnic area next to the river. The Fraser Valley Bouldering Crew on Facebook may have more beta. I haven't climbed at Roadside in years and only once at Elbow Lake.

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:47 am

Charlie wrote:Mike Krappo
Crapo :wink:

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:17 pm

Sorry, my bad spelling. My intellect is better geared towards math than grammar. :)

Anyway, there are some classic routes that Mike put up over the years in Chehalis, well worth the trip if you are in the area.

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:51 pm

Charlie wrote:Sorry, my bad spelling. My intellect is better geared towards math than grammar. :)

Anyway, there are some classic routes that Mike put up over the years in Chehalis, well worth the trip if you are in the area.
i know. been climbing there since '98.

in fact, we ripped up Heroin again the other day just for fun, cause of the rock slide on the 99. haven't done it since '04!

Karma Dogs is ultra classic as well!

Dru

Post by Dru » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:57 pm

There used to be a laminated guide/topo hung on a tree at the point where the Elbow Lake trail reaches the crag... is it gone?

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:18 pm

Dru wrote:There used to be a laminated guide/topo hung on a tree at the point where the Elbow Lake trail reaches the crag... is it gone?
must be. we didn't notice anything, but then again weren't really looking too hard for one.
it's not everyday we look for topos hung on trees :o