Sunblessed vandalism

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
jstod

Sunblessed vandalism

Post by jstod » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:59 pm

I posted this on the Squamish Climbing FB group page as well, but figured this was worth spreading as far as possible in order to dissuade this type of thing in the future.

Climbed Sunblessed today and someone has fixed a 2m+ chain to the first bolt, using a quicklink that has been closed with red lock-tight. The chain hangs down overt he twin dykes and even needs to be moved to get at some of the foot/hand holds. It is also starting to rust and will no doubt leave a rusty streak down the climb if left over the winter.

I'm assuming this has been done in protest of the first bolt's location... total BS in my opinion, as that high bolt has hardly dissuaded people from climbing SB in the past. It's classic route that one needs to prepare for by climbing solidly at the 10- grade in order to make those first moves (5.8 or 5.9 max) safely.

Hopefully someone will get rid of it soon. Easiest might be to just replace the hanger completely.

Julian

jerblumel
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Re: Sunblessed vandalism

Post by jerblumel » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:33 am

Wacky way to solve the high bolt issue, hah. JSodden, go ahead and get rid of that chain by whatever relevant means are necessary. I give you my blessing...

Squamishmonkey

Post by Squamishmonkey » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:51 am

The mayor has given his blesssing!
Interesting the chain placer has stayed quiet? Maybe they ran out of money adding chain to every 10ft run out in Squamish and couldn't afford their internet bill?

jstod

Post by jstod » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:19 pm

^^^
Totally! Cost of chain is through the roof these days... Maybe we need a foreign buyers tax on that too?!

JackAke

Post by JackAke » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:56 am

I want to take a moment to thanks everyone for their contribution.
Check my website if you have a chance.