Apron Descent Hand Line Needs Replacement

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
mearnsc
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Apron Descent Hand Line Needs Replacement

Post by mearnsc » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:53 pm

Coming down from Apron today, I noticed that a knot in the upper of the two handlines was shredding at the core. Tied a knot over the shredded knot, but this line needs maintenance or replacement.

Drew

Re: Apron Descent Hand Line Needs Replacement

Post by Drew » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:22 pm

...or better, removal.

Anders Ourom

Post by Anders Ourom » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:34 pm

There's much to be said for using the original descent route, which is more enjoyable and perhaps safer. Essentially, where you emerge from the forest, go a bit left (facing downhill), and rock hop and scramble down through the boulders. There are some faded bits of orange paint to help show the way.

scrubber

Post by scrubber » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:57 pm

The old route is definitely better, and safer when damp.

k

Anders Ourom

Post by Anders Ourom » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:07 pm

After Kris, Reuben and I explored the lower half of Squamish Buttress on Tuesday, we did an experiment. We rappelled to the top of the Apron - a point just south of Baldwin Ledge. They then rappelled via the relatively new rappel route into South Gully. I walked down. Kris and Reuben did two double rope rappels to get down, plus of course scrambled down to the top of the rappels, and then hiked down the gully. Knowing them, expeditiously but safely, i.e. not in a hurry, but not wasting any time. They didn't report any problems, e.g. stuck ropes. I scrambled across Broadway, down the slabs, into the forest and through the boulders, stopping for maybe a minute to chat with some climbers. Not in a hurry, just moving steadily.

Kris, Reuben and I arrived at the Apron parking lot within a minute of each other - 30 minutes via either way. It takes virtually the same time, all other things being equal. Arguably there is somewhat more inherent risk in the rappel route, another factor.

tobyfk

Post by tobyfk » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:09 pm

Anders Ourom wrote:After Kris, Reuben and I explored the lower half of Squamish Buttress on Tuesday, we did an experiment. We rappelled to the top of the Apron - a point just south of Baldwin Ledge. They then rappelled via the relatively new rappel route into South Gully.
Do you mean down this thing, Anders? http://squamishclimbing.com/squamish_cl ... f=2&t=5038

Anders Ourom

Post by Anders Ourom » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:30 pm

No, I'm referring to the rappel line to climber's right (west) of Rock On. I believe it was established a few years ago, more or less on the line of "Bad Pants Party". We did the usual rappel starting just over from the top of Rock On to Broadway, and then Kris and Reuben rappelled and I walked.

relic

Post by relic » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:10 am

The original way thru the boulders like Anders says is the way to do it. It's way more fun. You get to skip thru the boulders safely and get to see some rad problems on the way!

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:41 am

That rap route only requires one 60, it allows you to leave your shoes at the base when climbing rock on calculus etc

t2climb

Post by t2climb » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:53 pm

I have used the rap descent off the Apron into the gulley many times. A 60m rope works absolutely perfectly well. One should ALWAYS make sure they are at the middle of their rope when they are rapping......And if they are not it is a very good practice to begin NOW.